Environmental Health

Consumer Protection Services

Fremont County Environmental Health is part of Fremont County Public Health & Environment and serves all of the unincorporated portions of Fremont County with some programs extending into Cañon City, Florence, Williamsburg, Rockvale, Coal Creek and Brookside.

Environmental Health provides Consumer Protection services for Fremont County, including Retail Food Establishment (RFE) inspections, RFE plan review for new or extensively remodeled establishments, school inspections, child care center inspections, non-community ground water system inspections, and other duties such as responding to campground and mobile home park complaints, public accommodations complaints, public and semi-public pool & hot tub complaints.

Septic Systems

Septic systems are regulated and inspected by the Fremont County Building Department. Environmental Health may offer assistance to the Building Department by request. Visit the Building Department website for more information.

Food Handler Training Courses

Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment offers online food safety training courses at the link below. The basic course meets the training requirements for Colorado cottage foods.

  • Food Handler Training Courses
  • Colorado Cottage Foods Act

Body Art / Tattoo Regulations

The Fremont County Board of Health adopted body art/tattoo regulations, effective July 1, 2009, for Fremont County.  The Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment adopted Rules and Regulations for Body Art Establishments in 2001, so regulations have been in place since that time for all body art establishments and all body artists in Colorado.

Among other provisions, the Fremont County regulations provide for an annual inspection of body art facilities, the issuance of an annual license, review of plans for any new or extensively remodeled body art facilities, penalties for non-compliance and the requirement for parental or legal adult guardian consent for body art procedures on anyone under the age of 18.


More information coming soon...

Requirements for Temporary / Special Event Food Vendors

A Temporary/Special Event is a single event or celebration that operates at a fixed location for not more that 14 days. In Fremont County examples would include the Blossom Festival, Florence Pioneer Day, Penrose Apple Day and other similar events.

If an organization or individual would like to have a food booth at one of the Temporary/Special Events in Fremont County, a Colorado Retail Food Establishment License (RFE License) is required and the operation must comply with the Colorado Retail Food Establishment Rules And Regulations. Charitable and non-profit organizations located in Fremont County are exempt from licensing requirements; charitable and non-profit organizations from outside of Fremont County require a license. 

In order to obtain a Colorado Retail Food Establishment License, you must already have a single or multiple event license issued by the Colorado Department of Revenue. Even if you have an existing license from the Colorado Department of Revenue, for example a sales tax license for a restaurant that you own, you are still required to have this separate license from the Department of Revenue.

If you have a current sales tax account with the Department of Revenue, there is no charge for the single or multiple event license, but it does take time to get this issued especially if you apply online or by mail (up to 6 weeks), so if time is a factor, you should consider going to the closest Department of Revenue office and applying in person.

Once you have your single or multiple event license issued, you can apply to Fremont County Environmental Health for your Temporary/Special Event License to serve food at the event. Once you have been inspected and your Temporary/Special Event License has been issued, that license will be valid for the remainder of the calendar year for the state of Colorado (with the exception of the City and County of Denver), however you will still be required to contact the event coordinator for events that you plan to participate in and you are always subject to an inspection by the local health department.   

Currently (subject to change) a Temporary/Special Event License is $255.00 if you are preparing and serving food, or $115.00 for pre-packaged food items. Certain pre-packaged, non-perishable food items may not require a license.

The Temporary/Special Events in Fremont County will have an event organizer or event coordinator and typically that’s the person you should initially contact for information about participating in that event. 

Environmental Health

Office Hours

7:00 am to 5:00 pm
7:00 am to 5:00 pm
7:00 am to 5:00 pm
7:00 am to 5:00 pm
Closed Today
Closed Today
Closed Today

Have Questions About Fremont County Public Health?

Contact Fremont County Department of Public Health & Environment